Sunday, 12 December 2021

Week 12: 3D print test came!

Because of the communication issues in Abertay, I decided to go ahead and order a 3D print myself. I have re processed my old model and send it to the services, asking beforehand which method, that they provide is the most eco-friendly. I have been recommended FDM with PLA material. Unfortunately I found, that I processed the model for SLA, which is less environment friendly. I was not able to find how to process it for FDM, therefore I went with it. I know, that it is not eco-friendly and that this is the point of my project, but this was an outstanding old project, so I decided I can use it as one of the test. That's why the workshop next semester will be really essential for me, so I can learn how to process the module for the printing method I am looking at.


Anyway, the print has come and I am in love with it




Just wish that the material was biodegradable. But I will not repeat that next time, I promise.
I really liked my 3D print and I decided to keep it for testing next time, when I will be painting with the proper brush. I took a toy that I had and painted it with watercolours and oil paints. I wanted to test, if the paint will dissolve in water and glycerine. When the paint was dry I painted it with nail varnish and left for the night to try.


Next day I gathered all my set up to take a picture for the portfolio, to show what am I going to use for the project and for the tests.


This is a picture with test completed. I also made a video about it:

This was a fun experience and I am more confident about paint that I will use. I also need to research on what exact ratio I shall use when pouring the glycerine to the water, as some glitter was floating, some was not.

I also accomplished the sketches of characters:









I have a tough choice to make. Hopefully I can decide by the next week. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final outcomes, what a ride that was !

I finally finished the practical part of the project. I am still working on my dissertation, but meanwhile I will present what I created. I ...