Friday, 4 March 2022

Iterations + first resin test

 I made some progress with my sculpt:




I got a pretty good feedback from my peers on the group meeting. Although it is not finished, I processed it for 3D printing and decided that I should not waste my time and print it to see how the ecological resin will look like. 

Supports I put

Hollow model

Supports edited


Getting the settings right for the printer: we used settings as on the pictures, the model was hollowed, we changed the supports slightly with a pointy bits at the top- medium supports. The software I was using was Anycubic Photon Slicer, the one at Abertay lab was Photon S Slicer, which was slightly newer version.




2. I was shown how to use the resin printer, I was being explained all the elements and what to do step after step. 

First test with eco friendly resin


My little instruction for printing:
- Switch the printer on 
- Insert the flash with the sliced file (remember, you have to slice the STL file with the supports: it shows the layers that will be printed, very cool)
- Open the printer up, hold it at the top, be careful, open it way until it sticks to the back
- Take the glass shelf out, upside down as it is, carefully to not scratch the glass in the middle
- Check if the middle window is clear, you can wipe it delicately
- Put the shelf back in (not upside down)
- Tighten the screws
- Take the metal plate with a holder, insert it on the top, fit it into a knob, all the way there, tighten the screw on the top (DO NOT LET IT FALL ON THE GLASS)
- Close the printer
- Operate the screen, choose the right file and press play

Printer in action. Flash on the side with the file on it, screen showing the layer of printing, metal plate going down into the tank full of resin and.. it's printing!

My happy printing face!



After the print is done:
- Take the plate out carefully (unscrew and all)
- Put the wash machine on with filled tank (alcohol), take out the metal netting, place the plate in there, put to wash for 4-10 mins (most likely less)
- Once ready, take out for it to dry, you can now separate it from the base
- Unscrew the shelf, lift, then take out, pour the resin back to the bottle (there should be a little mouth for it), use the scraper for the access of it
- Put the shelf into a tank wash ( can be together with the scraper)
- Once washed, dry it out, upside down as it was, watch the glass.
- For curing, take the wash tank out, replace it with a plastic plate, switch the button to cure, put the model on the plate, cure for about 4 mins?, take it out

Ideally I should study the manual before I do another test, but this notes helped me to understand the printing process step after step. I did not manage to take the steps after the printing, so the lab technician helped me, next time I will be show how to do that and try it on my own.

I was extremally happy with the outcome of the print! Below are a bunch of pictures I have taken. My plan is to carry on with the model and other assets for it. I will create a test coral and print it one in resin, one with FDM and PLA. Exciting stuff!

Mother on the metal plate

Supports

I had to remove them all - very tricky

Workspace

Supports- might have a think if we can melt it, to recycle

Supports removed, sanded with a sand paper

Great print, but I manage to break two little spikes on the tail and I did not sand the back enough- it was just a test though.


With the primer coat on:




Ready to paint!
Someday.
It was a very educational experience, can not wait to print more!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Final outcomes, what a ride that was !

I finally finished the practical part of the project. I am still working on my dissertation, but meanwhile I will present what I created. I ...